Welcome to Simon Fraser University
You have reached this page because we have detected you have a browser that is not supported by our web site and its stylesheets. We are happy to bring you here a text version of the SFU site. It offers you all the site's links and info, but without the graphics.
You may be able to update your browser and take advantage of the full graphical website. This could be done FREE at one of the following links, depending on your computer and operating system.
Or you may simply continue with the text version.

FireFox (Recommended) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Opera http://www.opera.com/

*Macintosh OSX:*
FireFox (Recommended) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Opera http://www.opera.com/

*Macintosh OS 8.5-9.22:*
The only currently supported browser that we know of is iCAB. This is a free browser to download and try, but there is a cost to purchase it.
Close x
Searching... Please wait...



Q. When should I apply for the Asia-Canada Minor/Extended Minor or the
Certificate in Chinese Studies?

A. To apply for the Asia-Canada Minor/Extended Minor or the Certificate in Chinese Studies, contact the program advisor. Due to availability of courses and the language study requirements, students are encouraged to declare the extended minor by the 60th credit hour of study. 

Q. Can I do the Asia-Canada Extended Minor with another degree?

A. The Extended Minor can be done in conjunction with a Major or with another Extended 
Minor in a Bachelor of Arts degree or another Bachelor's degree, or as part of a Bachelor of
General Studies degree.


Q. Can I do the Asia-Canada Minor with another degree? 

A. The Asia-Canada Minor is available as of September 2010. This Minor can be done in 
conjunction with a Major or with another Minor (Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences)
in a Bachelor of Arts degree or another Bachelor's degree, or as part of a Bachelor of
General Studies degree.

Q. Do you keep waitlists for your courses?

A. No. Waitlists are not kept for our courses. Students must continue to try on SFU's
registration system until the end of the first week of classes. In week two and three,
only the instructor can sign you into the course if there is space available. Once this
happens, you must obtain a course change form from our office (AQ5112 or AQ5115),
have it signed by the instructor, and submit it back to the office. The secretary will then 
register you directly into the course.


Q. I would like to take ASC401 Directed Studies. What does it involve?

A. ASC401 is an independent project course under the supervision of a faculty member. It typically involves conducting research based on books and other material, as well as writing a paper (approximately 20 pages). Other assignments may be given. It is the student's responsibility to familiarize himself/herself with the relevant policies of intellectual honesty (see Q&A below). The purpose of the course is to allow the student to explore topics not covered in the regular Asia-Canada course offerings. Application forms are available from the advisor (Alice Muir-Hartley in AQ5115) --or you can download it; click here (PDF form) --and they should be completed at least two weeks prior to the semester in which the course is being taken.

After comfirming the eligibility conditions for this course (specified in the form), the student should consult a faculty member to assess the feasibility of his or her project. If the faculty member agrees to supervise, then, the student will (1) develop a list of reading or research material to be consulted, and have it approved by the supervisor; and (2) submit the signed form to the advisor (Alice Muir-Harley in AQ5115) who will register the student in the course as soon as final approval has been obtained from the Director of the Asia-Canada Program. (Note that if the proposed project involves human subjects--for example, conducting interviews--a permission must be sought from SFU's Research Ethics Board, with the help of the supervisor). The student, therefore, should be aware that this course, while intellectually very rewarding, involves a lot of preparation compared with the regular courses.


Q. What is the Asia-Canada Program's policy about intellectual honesty?

A. Please see SFU's policy on intellectual honesty.


Q. I have disabilities. What is your policy of accommodation?

A. In such a situation, we follow the policies set by SFU's Centre for Students with Disabilities. Please register yourself with the Centre in person and familiarize yourself with the policies. We honor only those requests of accommodation that are formally approved by the Centre. Your instructor will keep your condition confidential and will be understanding to legitimate claims.


Q. The Asia-Canada Program covers two areas of studies, Asian Studies and Asian 
Canadian (or Asian Diaspora) Studies. I am aware of several Asian Studies programs 
or departments in Canada. Are there any other programs in Canada for Asian Canadian (or Diaspora) Studies?

A. To the best of our knowledge, our program is the only one that explicitly addresses the study of Asian Canadians, although many Asian Studies programs do include materials on Asian Canadians. We are fortunate because the Vancouver region offers so much for Asian Canadian Studies, whether you are interested in history or contemporary affairs.